The company has received at least six reports of the overheating risk, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission announced on Thursday. In five incidents, the solar panels or umbrella caught fire. And one smoke inhalation injury was reported.
“Consumers should immediately stop using the umbrellas,” the agency said in a press release. Customers are advised to immediately remove the solar panel puck, store it away from the sun and flammable materials and avoid charging it with an AC adapter.
Customers can return the item to any Costco department store for a full refund, or contact SunVilla at 866-600-3133 or go online for refund instructions. Both SunVilla and Costco contact well-known customers.
SunVilla also received one overheating report in Canada, and a recall was issued for the 33,000 umbrellas sold in that country from January 2021 to May 2022.
Lithium-ion batteries are widely used in most electronic devices, including smartphones, handheld power tools, and electric vehicles. The lithium-ion battery market has grown significantly as the demand for electric bicycles and cars has increased.
Last year, the White House pushed for a national network of charging stations for electric vehicles, as a basis for reducing carbon emissions. The global market for lithium-ion batteries was valued at $ 36 billion in 2020 and was estimated to reach $ 193 billion in 2028, a market report showed.
On the other hand, the batteries are sensitive to high temperatures and inherently flammable. “Lithium-ion batteries store large amounts of energy and can pose a threat if not treated properly,” said the New York Fire Department. Social Media.
In April, the department warned the public about the proper handling of lithium-ion batteries after the batteries triggered four fires on light electric vehicles and damaged dozens in New York City. “If you use a lithium battery, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging and storage. Always use the manufacturer’s cord and power adapter designed specifically for the device. If a battery overheats, stop using it immediately,” the department wrote.