NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Sergio Garcia, one of the golfers who threatened legal action due to DP World Tours suspensions of LIV Golf participants, got into a heated commotion during the BMW International Open last week after learning about the tour’s actions, according to a report.
A player who competed in the tournament last week told The Daily Telegraph that Garcia “flew off the handle” after being told in the locker room that the European Tour had handed out $ 120,000 fines to these players competes in LIV Golf events without releases and banned these players from playing in the Scottish Open next week.
“The news [of the ban] came out during last week’s BMW International [in Munich], “the anonymous player told the outlet.” Sergio flew off the handle and shouted ‘this trip is s —, you are all f — ed, should have taken the Saudi money.’ (Scottish golfer) Bob MacIntyre was there and was disgusted.
PGA LEGEND CURTIS STRANGE ABOUT WHY THE PROFESSIONALS JUMPED TO GOLF: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
“Sergio’s reputation had taken quite a toll anyway before this, but this has sealed it for many of us,” the player continued. “The rant in America the second month was one thing, but this is his home tour, where he started, and he should not forget. Okay, he has taken the money. But he does not have to rub other players’ noses in it. “
During the opening round of the Wells Fargo Championship in May, Garcia flew into a new run after being penalized for spending too much time finding the ball on the 10th hole.
“I can not wait to leave this trip,” he said, according to several reports. “Can’t wait to get out of here. A few more weeks, and I don’t have to deal with you anymore.”
The comments came before Garcia officially joined LIV Golf.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
Garcia is among 16 players from the European circuit who sent a letter to the DP World Tour and threatened legal action due to the tour’s recent decision to ban and fine players who joined the Saudi-backed golf league.
The letter, obtained by The Daily Telegraph, reads: “Instead of spending our time, energy, financial resources and focus on anchors, injunctions and lawsuits, we would urge you, those responsible for the DP World Tour, to reconsider the recent penalties. and sanctions and instead focus our efforts on forging a way forward that is better for DP World Tour members and the game of golf. “
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
But CEO of the European Tour, Keith Pelley, struck back on Friday, saying that the players were well aware of the consequences and went so far as to point out that several of the players who signed the letter have not shown a real interest in the trip for several years .
“I wish many of them had been as keen on playing on our tour then as they seem to be now, based on the fact that they have either resigned from the PGA Tour or, if they are still a member, have been suspended indefinitely, “said Pelley.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.