Subway strike: Passengers warned against traveling during next week’s action

L

ondonere has been urged not to travel on the subway next Tuesday and Wednesday in the midst of widespread labor struggle on the network.

Transport for London (TfL) said that strike action would lead to serious disruption on all subway lines.

It comes as around 10,000 pipe workers from the unions RMT and Unite are preparing for a second day of strike action this month after closing the network on 6 June.

Separate hostilities taking place across Britain’s rail network are also expected to wreak havoc on commuters. Disputes have flared up over wages, jobs and conditions, and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) announced several strike votes at railway companies on Wednesday, increasing the threat of a long summer of disruption.

TfL said they expect “serious disruption or no service” on all subway lines on Tuesday if the strike continues, without services running before 1 p.m. 08.00 on Wednesday.

Network Rail has given similar advice not to travel when half of Britain’s railway lines close during strikes on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday next week.

They urged customers to avoid traveling on Wednesday until mid-morning.

Meanwhile, Londoners wishing to use underground services running on Tuesday have been urged to complete the journey by noon.

Bus services are likely to be “extremely busy” as a result of the strikes, they said.

TfL advised everyone who wants to travel to consider walking or cycling.

Meanwhile, strikes across the UK’s rail network are also expected to disrupt TfL services, including London Overground.

A reduced route will operate on London Overground and the newly opened Elizabeth Line on 21, 23 and 25 June.

Disruptions from the national railway strike will also affect customers in the mornings when strikes are not planned, including Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

The RMT strike action continues on the Night Tube, but TfL said they ran a good service on the Victoria and Jubilee lines, with at least three trains an hour. There is also a regular route on Sentralbanen with at least two trains per hour.

Andy Lord, TfL’s Chief Operating Officer, said that most of the metro stations will be closed next week without any services.

“Alternatives to the pipeline are likely to be much busier than usual, and we expect the severe disruption caused by this strike to continue until the morning of Wednesday, June 22. I am very sorry for the impact this will have on people’s travel,” he said.

“This strike is particularly frustrating as it comes so soon after the labor struggle earlier this month, no changes in pensions have been proposed and no one has or will lose their job as a result of the proposals we have put forward.

“We urge RMT and Unite to end this strike and work with us to find a solution and avoid the enormous disruption this action will cause to people’s travels and to our economic recovery.”

TfL said that they had met RMT and union officials on Wednesday, but that they were not able to resolve the dispute over salaries and pensions.

They denied allegations that they would not recruit for between 500 and 600 positions when they become vacant.

RMT has requested talks with Transport Secretary Grant Shapps and Chancellor Rishi Sunak, with the union’s secretary general Mick Lynch accusing the Treasury of “taking the shot” and not allowing railway employers to enter into a negotiated settlement.

Network Rail’s CEO Andrew Haines rejected the claim, saying that the Ministry of Finance has set a financial framework.